Pillow Case Dresses
The easiest dresses ever to make! Yet still super cute! I made three matching summer dresses in two hours without a pattern. I even made a dress to look Minnie Mouse like! My daughter loves Minnie Mouse. These dresses are so easy I can even consider making matching dresses for their dolls. How fun!
18 feet of 1/2 inch ribbon made three dresses
uncut fabric (from collarbone to below knees)
4-6 inches of Coordinating fabric (optional)
1. Measure the piece of fabric from the collarbone to right below the knee. Cut the fabric perpendicular to the selvage edges. Cut the whole way across the fabric. You will be using the whole width.
(optional: Cut 4-6 inches of a coordinating fabric and sew it to the bottom of the above piece of fabric.)
2. Fold the fabric inside out and sew the selvage edges together.
3. Using another shirt (that fits well), cut out an arm dip on each side. I laid the shirt on top with the top of the arm hole at the top of the fabric and the bottom of the hole at the side of the fabric. As best you can, cut the same size out of the fabric. I use the cutout fabric as a pattern for the other side. (Remember on the selvage side the arm cutout must line-up with the sewing line and not the edge.)
4. Roll the arm dip twice toward the inside of the fabric to create a finished look on the outside. (Make the hem small.)
5. Fold the top down towards the inside, first 1/4 inch and then 1 inch. Sew close to the bottom. Do this on both top edges.
6. Fold the end of the ribbon over twice and sew it. This secures the edge. Place a safety pin in the top and guide the end of the ribbon through the top channel of fabric. The ribbon should hang out about a foot or so from the other end of the channel. Sew the ribbon to the channel exit hole.
7. Squish the fabric in the channel until the resulting distance of the channel is distance between the child’s collarbones. Sew the other exit hole and ribbon.
8. Cut the ribbon at about one foot and secure the edge.
9. Repeat 6-9 for the other top channel.
10. Hem the bottom. I rolled mine a 1/2 inch and another 1/2 inch. Adjust the dress the length you prefer.
11. Cross the ribbons 1 1/2 inch from the front and back channel on the same side of the arm. Sew a stay stitch. Repeat on the other side. This insures that the dress will not just fall off if the become untied.
Have a lot of fun this summer!