Recipe for Wikki Stix
- 1 toilet bowl wax ring
- 1/2 cup paraffin candle wax
- 1 ball of cotton yarn, cut into 10 inch sections
In addition you will need wax paper,a pair of tongs, and a disposable tin for cooking (recycle large metal coffee can or nacho cheese) I don’t buy anything that comes in a large metal can. I found an old pot at Goodwill for 1.99.
- Cut the yarn into 1 foot pieces
- Layout sheets of wax paper on the counter.
- Fill a pot larger than the tin/old pot half full of water and bring the water to a boil. Place both waxes into the tin/old pot and put it into the pot of water. (Be careful not to get water into the wax pot) Heat the wax until it is melted.
- I grabbed one end of one piece of yarn. Dipped it into the melted wax. And laid the string flat on the wax paper without touching each other.
- I put a few about 5 on an intermediate sheet of wax paper before quickly transferring them to the second piece of wax paper. It allowed some of the extra wax to come off before hardening.
- When cool, cut off the end that the tongs held.
- Put 9 in a bundle and wrap the 10th stick around the middle to hold them together.
*I bought multi colored yarn so I could have a lot of different colored wikki sticks without buying too many balls of yarn. The wax is a caramel color so the final color will not be the same as the original yarn.
*Now, thinking about it (of course after I already bought the pot), I might have been able to use a tall cookie tin. That is if it didn’t leak?
*You can use a plastic place mat to use the sticks. I have a bunch of educational place mats.
*The commercial name is wikki stix.
*Laminate a piece of paper with a board that matches the child getting it. (cars, princesses,…)